Ascutney 2009

Mopar 151

Re: Ascutney 2009

Post by Mopar 151 »

Well, my 2 cents while I should be cleaning the gararge:
The thing that seems to be hardest for folks to get their minds around is that this is a task/operation driven schedule :? OK, we'll try a new paradigim (boy, wer'e magagin' now!) - This schedule works like an engine! Really! Events have to occur in sequence, with precise timing requirements. In an engine, we measure this in degrees and numbers of crank rotation. At a hillclimb, we measure this in runs and heats/groups. Please note that this is not minutes and seconds! :roll: If you lose timing in an engine, several disastrous things may occur - mechanical interference (akacrash, inefficent or nonexistent function, or component failure. Same with a hillclimb.
You MUST not allow a bringdown during a timed run (Interference :?: ), or start cars by time rather than by checkpoint (nonexistent function :!:potential interference :evil: ). Every time we try to overlap phone setup and the worker meeting, it bites us in the ass like a sticky exhaust valve!RANT ON!And there is no time - NONE - to be gained from messing with the size of run groups. Further, attempts to combine the morning fam into a single group gain a maximum of 8 minutes, while exposing several additional risks of time loss. :ugeek: RANT OFF!
The Ascutney early shutdown thing is not a simple problem. I would never interfere with the triumph that is the Ascutney wire crew (I don't dare to get that close!), but it falls on the same few guys, and they did'nt have much help this year. :( . And I've already seen those guys give up their last run to get ready to do wire in years past. :( Maybe the offer of some strategically placed Sunday afternoon help would ease the bind....
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
jkale

Post by jkale »

I agree 100%. If they ran the hill till 5:30. I would have no problem getting up on the hill to help make the job go by quicker. Im sure others would feel the same. Maybe, like at Okemo, Burke, or Philo, they should organize a wire crew and cleanup crew help to make things go faster once the hill finally closes. Beg and plead for help.. Just dont close it early because of a lack of attempt to help.. :?

There are no gains from trying to squeeze everyone in one run group or one fam run... there will still be 2 groups. there will still be 2 fam runs. Split them evenly. I like the time I am given while the other group is running. I dont like standing at the top for over an hour.
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

There is nothing to be gained by annoying competitors or workers needlessly.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Dave Burden

Post by Dave Burden »

Yeah, that was on my mind as well. Also a few strategically placed port-o-potties and we may be able to keep a fairly constant flow of cars up and down the hill all day.

Hoping to make it to a few other hills this year.

Have an extra 50hp Anthony can borrow?? :-)

Dave
STI NICK
AntiSpam: No

Post by STI NICK »

Mopar 151 wrote:There is nothing to be gained by annoying competitors or workers needlessly.
Not sure how asking people for help is annoying them. Most people will help if asked. Some dont do anything because they dont know what to do at an event.

I know Dave asked for help, but I was trying to help Chris R. get his dead car taken care of.

I think there are some good suggestions mentioned, or things to consider or revise for all hillclimbs.

Maybe we should have something where the drivers should have some part in helping with the setup and tear down of the hill instead of just the organizers and workers. It works for Autocross.
Nick
haley735

Post by haley735 »

i know that most every chairperson of every hillclimb that i attended always asked for volunteeers for setup and teardown of the hill. from just walking thru the parking lot asking for help, to asking at driver's meetings.
its really not that reasonable to think of running cars past 4pm, there is just way to much to do, and never enough volunteers.
i know that ascutney has ( or had last i knew) a dedicated wire crew, but every other hill always needs help.
like me ol' grandfather said- "many hands make light work"
we didnt have a good message setup like this when i started hillclimbing, but i think that for each race you could try to get helpers to commit via this very forum, just a thought

(oh, and by the way-totally off topic, but if you are ever in georgia you have to take a drive up/down route 345 to helen, its a nice scenic drive thru appalachia. just discovered it this past weekend)
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Ok-since I get to chair the next event, I'll start to make mental notes of all this. What I have seen in the past, (using Burke + Okemo as examples)-one of the time wasters that can + will get cleaned up it the decreasing number of drivers anxious to make runs after lunchtime. 1st run of the day, everyone is inline on cue--next run there are a few folks a bit late into line-by mid afternoon, the word you hear thru the pit-and on the wire--"any more cars for B group"? Then the hollaring intercome starts shouting-control is holding things up while some is yelling "hold on!" Now we are starting cars every 2 minutes rather than by check 3.
Brian has done a great job of being the "staging nazi" at Burke--resulting in 5 runs a day.
I have torn down a hill in just under an hour-and has been in the past, during the drivers meeting a list of names + tasks for teardown will be taken before we start.
Early risers: we always need help to set up the hill in the morning -before any horns are sounded or meeting are held. checking radios-setting up easy ups etc--this is usually being done as the drivers meeting is going on (and obvious we cant start until they're done)-so ask me or Dave Fri nite where + when the truck is going up the hill + help.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
jkale

Post by jkale »

Sounds like a plan. I will be arriving early friday. Ill help with all the setup if you need it. I'd like to get up and down the road as many times possible before saturday morning...
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Dave Burden wrote:Have an extra 50hp Anthony can borrow?? :-)

Dave
I'm certain I've got it if John and I can get the motor together. Not sure how to loan it out. If I can figure that out, I can make some real money renting HP. I'm certain Earl would rent a bunch on the last run of the day when Robbie is just a little bit ahead. :lol: