NHOR-Landcruisin builds another Subaru

Mopar 151

Seats, rules

Post by Mopar 151 »

C. Seats
1. Shall be sturdily mounted and sturdily constructed.
2. Fiberglass and other lightweight seats must be framed and mounted at
multiple points. FIA seats do not require additional bracketing beyond their
normal mounting points.

That's the seat rule, pretty much. We do not require FIA seats to be braced at the back. As it is your ass in the car, if I were you, I would put a rigidly mounted, back braced seat with shoulder support.Image - which Smokey has for sale in an earlier post. I have a similar KirkeyImage that I am absolutely in love with. And I would strongly reccomend building a seat mount which braces the seat directly to the rollcage - like this kitImagehttp://www.kirkeyracing.com/related/Rel ... 0Guide.pdf
One of the crashes that made Randy Lajoie build a better seat
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsOZOpT0 ... re=related[/youtube]
info http://www.joieofseating.net/index.html
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Landcruisin60
AntiSpam: No

Re: NHOR-Landcruisin builds another Subaru

Post by Landcruisin60 »

I feel like a Kirkey is a bit over kill for me. This is a daily driver car first and a weekend hill climber/toy 2nd. Those seats dont look like they'd be comfortable to sit in for a few hours.
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Actually, the opposite is true. The contour bottom makes all the difference! That, and the high density foam. Don't confuse these with "economy" aluminium or fiberglass seats, that are like sitting on a flat board.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Landcruisin60

Post by Landcruisin60 »

Really, hmm they seem like a decent price. I'd have to sit in one before I came to any final conclusions. What seat would you recommend? The intermediate road race?
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I can assure you the corbeau's with steel tube frames will be less than comfortable after about a two hour stint in the car. Comfy for short blasts, but your tail bone will be crying after a couple of hours.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Landcruisin60

Post by Landcruisin60 »

Hmm thats certainly some food for thought. I'd like to find someone locally with one I could sit in.

I'm also still a bit undecided as for what to do for my roof. I mocked in a V and I'm still a little concerned about head room. It'll probably be fine but I'm looking for alternatives. I was thinking one diagonal from the passenger side where the a pillar bar meets the main hoop to the drivers side where the a pillar and windshield bar meet. The FIA rules show a diagram with one straight bar from the middle of the hoop to the middle of the windshield bar which I suppose is an option, but I feel a diagonal adds more strength. The other idea I had is a bit harder to explain...but it would be 2 tubes, they'd go from the corner of the a-pillar windshield bar, have a bend in it and land slightly off center on the main hoop. There would be one per side. I'm trying to find a sketch of what I'm talking about.
Last edited by Landcruisin60 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveEstey

Post by DaveEstey »

sachilles wrote:I can assure you the corbeau's with steel tube frames will be less than comfortable after about a two hour stint in the car. Comfy for short blasts, but your tail bone will be crying after a couple of hours.
My Corbeau A4 is exceedingly comfortable. Maybe your experience was in a different model.
1987 Mazda RX-7 GXL (Hillclimb)
1987 Mazda RX-7 Sport (Lemons)
2008 Mazda MX-5
2015 Ford F-350
2007 Toyota Prius (the fast car)
http://www.DaveEstey.com
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Dave, Forza and Clubman models

Landcruisin. How tall are you? When you mocked in the V, the point of the V should have been pointing to the rear of the car.
Most race seats will lower your seating position as well.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
britracer89

Post by britracer89 »

You could run a center bar with full size tube gussets driver and passenger sides front and rear. My brother and I did this in one of the rally cars we built specifically to improve head room. We also had full size tube gussets at almost all corners of the cage. It worked as the car is no longer with us and the driver is.
Landcruisin60

Post by Landcruisin60 »

sachilles wrote:Dave, Forza and Clubman models

Landcruisin. How tall are you? When you mocked in the V, the point of the V should have been pointing to the rear of the car.
Most race seats will lower your seating position as well.

I'm 6'4" one of my concerns is also keeping tube as far from my head as possible.
britracer89 wrote:You could run a center bar with full size tube gussets driver and passenger sides front and rear. My brother and I did this in one of the rally cars we built specifically to improve head room. We also had full size tube gussets at almost all corners of the cage. It worked as the car is no longer with us and the driver is.

Awesome that sounds like an excellent solution.