Roll bars

b5s4mike
AntiSpam: No

Roll bars

Post by b5s4mike »

So I have read the rule book and posts below and find myself more confused than when I started. Hopefully I don't sound too stupid...
As I read it a convertable car that does not break out only needs a roll bar that conforms to the specs of a roll cage?

E. Collision Protection minimum requirements
1. Roll bar required in all cars without a full steel roof. Roll bar should be
equivalent in construction to cage specs

So I can run my TR6 with just a bar (provided I don't breakout) ?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
britracer89

Re: Roll bars

Post by britracer89 »

Last I checked you can run the TR6 with a bar if you do not break out. The bar needs to be of same construction as the main hoop in the cage specs.
Does that add more mud for you?
Hope to see you at the hills. We need more Triumphs.
Brian
britracer89

Post by britracer89 »

Oh...the bar needs to be above the helmet or the seated driver. As stated in the cage specs.
b5s4mike

Post by b5s4mike »

Thanks! I don't know if I will actually run it or not but this was the first step. I am looking for the paper work for the bar in it now.
Are you the Sunbeam driver?
britracer89

Post by britracer89 »

No. I have a white spitfire that hasn't been around much the last few years.
b5s4mike

Post by b5s4mike »

Because I am paranoid of making costly mistakes, does anyone see a problem with this bar?
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProd ... exID=80678
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

I am not on the technical commitee, but that bar with its advertised size should be more than adequate for the weight of that vehicle, as long as it is above the helmet, which depends on how tall you are. At 6'3" I had to lower my seat to get below my factory bars before I had the cage. Don't forget you also need arm restraints in a covertible. Arm restraints are designed for use with harnesses, however if you are still running a 3 point factory seat belt I found that by clipping the arm restraints to each other you can run the 3 point seat belt through the straps that are clipped together and still exit the vehicle quickly by just undoing the seat belt. Hope this helps. Enjoy running top down, its awesome. :D Image
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

b5s4mike wrote:Because I am paranoid of making costly mistakes, does anyone see a problem with this bar?
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProd ... exID=80678
It is a fine looking bar. No mention is made of tubing thickness that I see... But it is not a cage so you would still be restricted by the breakout rule. Still, with a convertible you need either a roll bar or a bolt-on hard top to run at all.
The older I get the better I was.
b5s4mike

Post by b5s4mike »

Thanks for the help guys! I won't be ready by Ascutney but hopefully shortly after.

Walter, Im not expecting to breakout and hope not to. My car is largely stock. A full cage in this car would make it less fun to drive on the street and I don't want to make that sacrifice.
Phillip

Post by Phillip »

I knew you'd hill-climb this eventually! 8-)
-Phill
2005 Evo VIII: Garrett, Cosworth, InjectorDynamics, Vipec, Ralliart, ARP, Injen, ExtremeTurboSystems, Deutschworks, Kognition, OMP, Schroth