Hans and harness size

walterclark

Re: Hans and harness size

Post by walterclark »

honda#72 wrote:So with sliding tethers and fixed post I would have reasonable vision and be able to put my helmet on inside the car? And as discussed before a 3 " belt is still FIA legal with Hans it is just a comfort issue?
The key is the sliding tether. the difference between the standard post and the quick disconnect is mostly one of familiarization. The standard post and tether clip together too, but you have to get the clip aligned to the post correctly before it can be pushed down allowing it to slide and release or connect...really pretty straight forward once you figure out where this alignment occurs so you can do it blind. Probably the hardest part for me is putting the Hans around my nect in the car, and that is the same regardless of which tether and post you use.

As I wrote above, both widths are still in multiple current FIA documents related to Hans. I think there would have been a big deal made of it if the 3" belt were no longer permitted - remember 3" was the ONLY FIA approved belt available until a year or two after the FIA approved the Hans, so it would have to have been specifically disallowed and I am not aware of such a change.
The older I get the better I was.
honda#72
AntiSpam: No

Post by honda#72 »

Thank you for the clarification Walter. I know putting the Hans on in the car is a pain, but I don't mind sitting in the car with it on. I just wanted to make sure I could remove my helmet in the car. As we all know, many times when you think you are ready to line up, or bring down, something happens and you have to sit and wait. I run hot (not the car), and just wanted to make sure I could put on or pull off my helmet while we wait, and just leave the Hans on while I sit in the car with no helmet. Thanks again, hope I can get one ordered and mailed before Ascutney. Also will have to drill my helmet.
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

I'm considering a hybrid- http://www.saferacer.com/safety-solutio ... uctid=2296
My concern is my cockpit is small-and my procedure is climb in from the roof-get the belts in place-snug the lap belt-lean forward to put on my helmet-then tighten my shoulder harnesses. Slight concern about putting the hans on-belts on-then try to clip my helmet in-then arm restraints. I dont know this system is any different-they mention its better in side impact -which i'm betting I'd have a better chance of having than a straight head on shot into a solid object.

Any thoughts?
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I don't have answer for you, but if you have doubts about fit, or how you might like a certain device, check out the below link.
http://www.safedrives.com/products.asp?cat=82
They offer "rent to own" allowing you to try one and apply your rental fee to a purchase of any of the devices they sell. Might give you a chance to confirm it works for you.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

Ordered Hans with quick click sliding tethers from safe racer but was informed the are on back order. Was told you only have to drill holes on helmet, there was no mention of a threaded insert. Is no insert needed, do you just drill and screw the mounts in?
Last edited by honda#72 on Fri May 06, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

try ogracing they sponsored our car for years so I try to buy stuff from them, maybe they have in stock?
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

Too late, already paid. I do need to know about drilling the helmet. Do the mounts just screw into the hemet with no threaded inserts?
britracer89

Post by britracer89 »

After you measure and drill ....pull the interior out of the way before drilling....insert the flanged insert nut....screw post into nut from outside of helmet...re-install interior...done.
britracer89

Post by britracer89 »

Oh...the flanged nut is inserted from the inside.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

As Brian said the nut is a flanged (large washer) type that needs to be held to the inside of the helmet. Some helmets will let you just pull up the padding and some use hot glues or other adhesives to secure the padding - not so much now that restraints are required by so many racing bodies so access to the inside of the helmet shell is needed by dealers and racers.
Last edited by walterclark on Sun May 08, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the better I was.