Hans and harness size

honda#72
AntiSpam: No

Hans and harness size

Post by honda#72 »

Does any one have any input as to the draw backs beside comfort to using a 3" harness as opposed to a 2" Hans specific harness. From what I under stand it is not a safety issue, more of a comfort issue as the 3" harness hangs over the device a bit. Has anyone used both sizes with Hans?
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
walterclark

Re: Hans and harness size

Post by walterclark »

Yes, I have. Its sort of hard to define but I find the 2"I am using now to be more comfortable to wear, less likely to slip off the Hans while belting in and easier to adjust than the 3" I removed. Its sort of like the 3" will work but the 2" feels like it is made for the Hans. I switched from a G-force 3" 5 point to a Schroth 2" 6-point. This harness also uses 2" lap belts which are more comfortable and easier to position low over the hip bones then 3".
The older I get the better I was.
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

My Hans just arrived Sat. so I am going to try it in the car maybe tonight. Hoping the 3 inch ones arent completely uncomfortable. I dont want to buy harnesses before Washington. I just bought these last year. I will let you know what I think as soon as I try it out.
Nick
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

Does anyone have any input on the different tethers types. It appears some styles allow for more vision (able to turn your head), and qiuck release while some styles can be put on in the car while others can not. I think I would like to be able to put in on while in the car, what style will allow for this? Thanks for any input/ help.
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

I got the sliding tether. seems to give good viewing/range of motion. I havent tried the fixed tethers. I also got the post anchor style. Its a pain to take the tethers off with your helmet on, but it can be done. It is easy and quick to disconnect/connect the tethers once your helmet is off.
Nick
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I ordered from SafeRacer.com
(http://www.saferacer.com/hans-device-sp ... uctid=1296)

Medium (I think... I don't think I got a large... don't recall) (see notes)
20 (see notes)
Sliding (this allows you to turn your head)
Post anchor (see notes)

Comment on helment. If it is not SA-H (H for Hans) you have to do your own drilling in the helmet.

Notes:

SSS - Odd looking people with tiny heads
SS - Super Small For neck sizes 11"-13.5"
M - Medium For neck sizes 13.5"-17"
L - Large For neck sizes 16"-20"

Model 20 for upright seating applications
Model 30 fits larger drivers in most cars or slender drivers

Tethers:
1. Post Anchor system is the anchor system that most people are used to already. The anchors are bolted to the helmet, and the Hans tethers attach the Hans to the helmet, and the Hans can be separated from the helmet easily. This allows the driver to put the Hans on while still in the car if desired.

2. The Quick Click Anchor system allows the driver to detach the helmet from the Hans by simply pulling the orange tethers.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

honda#72 wrote:Does anyone have any input on the different tethers types. It appears some styles allow for more vision (able to turn your head), and qiuck release while some styles can be put on in the car while others can not. I think I would like to be able to put in on while in the car, what style will allow for this? Thanks for any input/ help.
Mine came with the fixed tethers which I used until this past season when I upgraded to the sliding tether. The fixed was a big hindrance when trying to look way left or right, such as when waiting as the next to come to the start line at Ascutney, Okemo and Burke. I ended up adjusting them perhaps a little too long to be able to turn my head enough. The sliding model lets me keep the overall tether short and still turn my head.

I use the standard posts and once I got used to how they work I can attach and detach them any time with relative ease.
Phillip

Post by Phillip »

Bear in mind that using a 3" harness with a HANS is not FIA legal. For what thats worth. Also, using a 2" HANS harness without a HANS is also not FIA legal.

From a personal standpoint, My HANS slips with a 3", because its grooved for a 2", so it spills over and doesn't seat properly on the straps. SInce the collar has a rim on it to keep the straps settled, your defeating part of the purpose of it by allowing the collar to move freely.
-Phill
2005 Evo VIII: Garrett, Cosworth, InjectorDynamics, Vipec, Ralliart, ARP, Injen, ExtremeTurboSystems, Deutschworks, Kognition, OMP, Schroth
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

The FIA issued "Guide for use of Hans in Motor Sport" lists both 50mm (2") and 75mm (3") wide belts in the instructions for setting the spacing on the shoulder harness attachment. In fact the Hans test certification procedure document lists either 50 or 75mm belts as acceptable for specific tests where belts are used.

That said, I find the 2" a better choice for comfort with a Hans and the reasons you point out.

It is true the 50mm wide shoulder harness belts are not to be used without a Hans, per the FIA.
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

So with sliding tethers and fixed post I would have reasonable vision and be able to put my helmet on inside the car? And as discussed before a 3 " belt is still FIA legal with Hans it is just a comfort issue?