Rollcages

Mopar 151

Re: Rollcages

Post by Mopar 151 »

For those familiar with Jerry Driscoll's cars, here are some links in their evolutionary chain - a couple of the best of the "upright" supermodifieds
Ellis Palasani, crop farmer from Lealand, Mississippi
The Bowley 5, with Bentley Warren up
Jack Conley's car - not much to look at, but that's a 472 ci (yes, 472) small-block under the "hood", and magnesium Hailbrand's on all 4 corners - always a pole contender
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Deezle

Post by Deezle »

Thanks, that's all very helpful!

Do you know anybody in NE that is running the same open car in hillclimb and track events? It would be interesting to hear about their experience and have a peek at their setup.
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Don Silloway's Uncle Julian

These cars are heavily offset, which would require some reconfiguration to turn r&l, but running gear and rollcage are well suited to a lot of 4 cyl. racing.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I love those cars... huge wheels, huge power, low weight....
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:I love those cars... huge wheels, huge power, low weight....
Oh yeah. I think they would make a fun hillclimb car. I was tempted myself at one point but I like the V8 too much to give it up.
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Couple more pics, from the "for sale" ads on RacingJunk.com
Image Note: I beleive that the correct chassis builder is LINDBLAD - nice car, IMHO, but you don't want the motor program.
or there is this older car which might be a good "builder"

And I should probably answer a question implied in the original post - "Is there a braced (single)hoop which will meet NEHA cage rules?" The answer, as defined in our rules, is NO. The SCCA "low front" cage configurationImage does not meet the requirement of a cross bar ahead of the driver's head, and does not meet the intent of our rule regarding the A post(s). The configuration we reccomend is allowable in SCCA,Image and in most other clubs , and is readily retrofittable to most "low front" cage configurations.
A nice retrofit, using the original roll hoopImage on what appears to be an older F5000/supermodified conversion.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

A "raceworks" "Tour"modified. naked. A little too much car for 100 hp to push around, but if you can find 250 hp, they go well, and they will accept well over 600hp ', with a roomy engine bay.

"tour" modifieds are regional to the northeastern US, with winter range extending to Florida. NASCAR's oldest class. Tube frame, coil-over suspension typical. Midwestern"econo""IMSA""UMP""E-mod" variants use production frames and suspension components, inexpensive "claimer" engines.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Mopar 151

Newest style Troyer naked

Post by Mopar 151 »

Note the newly required (by NASCAR) "Danbury" bars in the driver's window, and the plating in the left "door" area. Kevin and I looked one of these over at Expo last year, and they also now incorporate the "Will Smith" bars we require - some visible hereImage

Another view, of the "nerf bars/rub rails" on the driver's side. We require an energy absorbing structure like this in all cars. The stock door covers the requirement for most, but tubeframe cars need a seperate device for this function.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
KevinGale

Re: Newest style Troyer naked

Post by KevinGale »

Mopar 151 wrote: Kevin and I looked one of these over at Expo last year ..
You looked, I was drooling, :lol: The also made the cockpit a bit wider. I want one!