Typical Day At Okemo?

bacared82
AntiSpam: No

Typical Day At Okemo?

Post by bacared82 »

I plan to see the hillclimb on August 6th, but have never been to one. Is there a spectator area? Is the the pit accessible to fans? I have some kids that might want a signed poster, will there be a chance for that?

Also, can someone recommend another spectator event in New England? (Cant' make the NEFR) Looking for something within 2 hours of CT.
sachilles

Re: Typical Day At Okemo?

Post by sachilles »

There isn't an official spectator area. That being said, of any of the hills we do, this is the best one to have any sort of view. The geography at most of our hills will prevent any spectator viewing.
You can see a fair amount from the bottom of Okemo.
You are able to walk around the pits. We are an amateur organization, as a result, you'll find it's a very laid back event, and many of our members are very family oriented. Since this is just a hobby for most of us, you won't find any swag/freebies around the pits(so no posters to be found). However, most drivers will be very happy to shoot the breeze with you. Many will be happy to let your children have an up close and personal look at the cars, so long as they are respectful of them. I'm sure we'd autograph any poster that happens to be put in front of us, if it would get a smile out of child. I'm in a black subaru #66, you are more than welcome to visit me, and I'll let your son or daughter have a seat in the race car, so long as I'm not waiting in line for my run.

If you are looking for the true "pro" experience. There are several events somewhat near ct, however, many have already happened for this year.
Rally New York has several event arounds NY during the year.
NEFR as you already mentioned.
STPR, a rally in PA
The European rallcross circuit run by rallycar/rally america is making it's way around the country. I believe they stop at New Jersey motorsports park.
Hopefully the Mt Washington hillclimb will return for 2012, and that is the mother of all hill climbs in the east, and is quite the spectator extravaganza. This year they had bands, fireworks, and lots of cool stuff for the fans to do. Look at climbtotheclouds.com for info on that.

You can also work a hill climb and get an up close look at the sport, and be part of the action. No experience is necessary. You do have to be 16 or older to work the hill, so any children would have to meet that age requirement. As a worker, you get a free lunch and the undying gratitude of the drivers. Working the hill you'll be there should the drivers be in trouble, and you'd communicate that to the race organizers.
You also are welcome to compete. You just need a vehicle in good working order(safe), a qualified helmet, and fire ext with metal bracket mounted in your car, then you can participate.

Feel free to send me a PM if you need help tracking down any of these events. Glad you are interested.

-Seth
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
walterclark

Re: Typical Day At Okemo?

Post by walterclark »

The NEHA events arent spectator events - an insurance thing (HUGE premiums to permit spectators). However as Seth mentioned there are several ways to see the action by getting involved.

Also, and this is unique to Okemo, the first few turns pass thru the open base ski area of the mountain, The hosting club puts up a caution tape on the North side, a safe distance from the mountain road outside of which there are many - unofficial but - excellent places to hike to and watch, including the Start next to the Mountain Lodge and near Checkpoint 1 across the road from the Sugar House Lodge.
The older I get the better I was.