Okemo Lodging

b5s4mike
AntiSpam: No

Okemo Lodging

Post by b5s4mike »

Does everyone normally stay at the Okemo Mt Lodge that is mentioned in the "information section"? Is there a cool spot where everyone goes?
Thanks!
Rabbit Farmer

Re: Okemo Lodging

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Some people stay at the lodge. Everyone hangs out in the parking lot.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
spalind

Post by spalind »

I'll state that I stayed in one of the one bedroom condos right at the starting line. With the discount for being with the event it was like $140 or so a night including taxes. I didn't have anyone to share it with (in a platonic fashion) and it was a mixed bag. Positives were that it was clean and comfortable and quiet. I'm an old married guy and like to go to bed earlier than some youngsters and my liver can't cope the way it used to. It also made it nice for "commuting" to the paddock by just walking across the street.

That being said...the lack of A/C was shocking especially given the high price during their off season with virtually no one else in the building and the 12 inch TV available was literally laughable. I haven't seen a TV that small since my grandmother's old B&W, change the channel by turning the knob, TV.

So...while I appreciated the place to crash, the price was too steep for the amenities that should come with that price tag.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Since I stopped camping (at the Squirrel Hill Campground) I have stayed at the Happy Trails motel. Clean, reasonable and it DOES have AC. Most of the rooms also have large screen HD capable TV's, but the DirecTV feed is strictly SD.

The idea of a lack of AC and the price, even after the hillclimb discount at the mountain turned me off a couple years ago and I have been satisfied at Happy Trails.
The older I get the better I was.
b5s4mike

Post by b5s4mike »

Thanks for the ideas, Ill check them out.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I like staying at Okemo as it is a short walk... no one has to worry about driving. We always bring fans with us. TV was a large, wide, flat screen. I guess it depends from whom you are renting (rooms owned by private parties).
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

At a bike rally we went to in Stowe one summer, we also had the suprise of the 90 degree room + no AC . It only take a second of common sense to realize (too late)-these are SKI resorts-this is their off season. :cry:
There is also the option of camping in the parking lot. (free) No fires allowed-porti-pottys are the only luxury.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
aphillips66

Re: Okemo Lodging - condo crackdown

Post by aphillips66 »

There seems to be a change in management for the condos on the mountain. Several of we bikers have shared a multi-bedroom condo over the last few years. We used to be able to have as many condo parking permits as we needed and also late checkout on Sunday. Now, the rates have increased, only 2 parking permits (strictly enforced), and no late checkout. There certainly seems to be a new sheriff in town. This last weekend we had to call to get the hot water tank working again. There was no hot water for showering Saturday evening. Otherwise, the place was clean and comfortable. Sharing a multi bedroom unit saves on cost. It actually makes it somewhat reasonable.
spalind

Re: Okemo Lodging - condo crackdown

Post by spalind »

aphillips66 wrote:There seems to be a change in management for the condos on the mountain. Several of we bikers have shared a multi-bedroom condo over the last few years. We used to be able to have as many condo parking permits as we needed and also late checkout on Sunday. Now, the rates have increased, only 2 parking permits (strictly enforced), and no late checkout. There certainly seems to be a new sheriff in town. This last weekend we had to call to get the hot water tank working again. There was no hot water for showering Saturday evening. Otherwise, the place was clean and comfortable. Sharing a multi bedroom unit saves on cost. It actually makes it somewhat reasonable.
Yes, the DSG crew did the same thing. Didn't hear of them having parking permit issues but they were also sharing a big place to keep the costs down.
agrabau

Post by agrabau »

Yeah Dan next time if you can handle how annoying we are you should stay with us. The place was good but my ongoing complaint is the lack of AC. The condos are very hot in the summer. We just didn't mention the parking to them and parked 3 or 4 extra cars there.