seat recommendations

dsldubn
AntiSpam: No

seat recommendations

Post by dsldubn »

I'm looking for a new seat for my rabbit...

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I'm most likely looking at an entry level seat of some sort because, like a lot of us, budget will determine what I end up with. The racing it'll be used for is hillclimbs and autocross, so probably don't really need fia rating?

Anyone have experience with Corbeau clubman, forza, or fx1? Or does anyone have experience with a different seat in that similar price range? I eventually will add a matching passenger seat, so a seat with wide shoulder wings probably won't work for me in a rabbit.

I'd love a more expensive seat, but have a hard time justifying since most of them cost more than the car they are going in, and I have a limited race budget. I've been racing and driving with a cheap plastic summit seat for a couple years, so anything is going to be an improvement.

thanks
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
sdwarf36

Re: seat recommendations

Post by sdwarf36 »

You can get a Kirkey circle track seat for cheap money- and what is spent making them goes into the aluminum rather than worrying about if the upholstery matches a Porsches interior. They are a pain to climb out of -because they are made to wrap around you snug. You want the seat to fit you like a driving shoe.The worst I ever got banged up in a race car was driving some else's car (who was bigger than me)-I took a mild hit square in the side -and got bounced around from side to side in the seat. Zero damage to the car--i had sore ribs for a week. :(
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

My next set of seats will have a halo... something to thing about for side to side impact helmet support.

Sliders or no sliders? Race seats are hard to get in/out of (as Sherman mentioned above). Sliders make it easier plus allows for different height drivers.

With difficult egress/entry... perhaps a removable steering wheel (I haven't needed this as I have sliders)
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

I checked out the kirkey's Sherm, thanks...definitely a possibility, but I am curious if they have any comfort at all. I do drive the car to the hills, and I put a good amount of miles on during the summer. Comfort is not the priority, just curious, and it would be nice to not have the entire bottom half of my body numb when I get to the hill.

Good point on the halo steve. Probably not using sliders. I currently run a mount that I made that uses the stock slider tracks, and a through bolt in the front..may do something similar, but don't really want to use a true slider. I am considering welding seat mounts to the cage.

any other ideas?
Jason Orzell
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

I have a kirkey mounted to the floor/sliders (nonfunctional) with a bolt in the front. I also run much stiffer springs then you and I find the seat incredibly comfortable but maybe cause I am crazy who knows definietly need the removable steering wheel to get in and out with the cage/seat and short window of the scirocco. I am looking at a halo seat to replace it with just from a safety perspective.
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

which model kirkey are you using now?
Jason Orzell
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

looks like an intermediate 20 degree layback. mine is at least 15 years old though the cover is shot and I have added some padding under the butt and the kidney areas. not a lot though. I want a taller seat with the shoulder holes a little higher.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

The Kirkey (and all racing seats) all have the ability to have bolt on head rests. I used them in the dirt + liked them. (racing the indoor series you got bounced around alot. :? )
I've sat in my seat for 1 hour and climbed out not sore. You fit so womb-like and your body is in contact all over-no pressure points. For driving to a hill, I'd probably throw a piece of foam in there though.

I would definitely recommend a removable wheel. Sure you can twist the right way to climb in-and put your leg here--and right arm this way-and turn your head etc to get out-while sitting on level ground--but what happens the day you are at a 45* angle nose up in a ditch? Or someone else has to try to get you out?
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

Now I'm also searching for a removable wheel. Any recommendations for a vw? There seem to be several...and being a very important piece, I rather not have a junk one. Sure would be nice to still use a stock vw wheel, but that's probably asking a bit much.

J
Jason Orzell
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

I like the "pull" type (http://cmwraceparts.com/proddisp.php?pn=TRY41007A) rather than the "pin" type (http://cmwraceparts.com/proddisp.php?pn=WIL270-2016) quick release.

I have this one http://cmwraceparts.com/proddisp.php?pn=LON56605 on my rallycross car. You should be able to find an adapter kit to run your VW steering wheel
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports