Roll cage and roll bar

RacingFrog
AntiSpam: No

Roll cage and roll bar

Post by RacingFrog »

Hi all,

I have a 69 Corvette convertible and a 75 Corvette Coupe with T-tops. I wanted to give it a try in the unprepared category with one of these cars. As you can imagine, this is just for fun not to score points.

I can't put a roll bar in the convertible easily but I have the original factory hard top, would it be ok to run with the hardtop?
For a coupe with t-tops, is that considered as a full steel roof?

What are the chances of breaking out with these cars? There is power (especially in the 69) but handling is 70s style so it won't be extra fast.
Basically, would it be possible to run any of these cars without putting a roll bar or roll cage?

The original belts are only lap belts, is it ok if this is original stock equipment?

Also I did not see in the regulations if it was allowed to take a passenger during the runs. If yes, are there special requirements for the passenger protection?

Thanks in advance for the info and I hope to be able to join you this year!
Emmanuel
--
FrogRacing: Because Frogs can climb too!
http://frogracing.us
http://www.facebook.com/frogracing
sachilles

Re: Roll cage and roll bar

Post by sachilles »

Those are some good questions, and I don't know the answer. Walter, Sherman or John should be able to answer them, but they may not be around to see the post for a few days. Just didn't want you sitting around wondering if anybody saw your post.
As to whether I think you can hit the break out time or not. There are so many factors, that I couldn't say for sure. My guess is you'll probably be able in time as you get to know the individual hills. The break out times allow you to go fast enough to scare yourself silly. So even if you hit, you are having a ton of fun.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

The convertible would be a no. Those cars did not come with a factory bar that was above the drivers head. See this forum discussion viewtopic.php?f=22&t=53 . Car with T- tops, you will need a reply from the technical commitee to find out for sure, it's kinda a gray area, but T- tops may also fall under convertible rules.
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
RacingFrog

Post by RacingFrog »

honda#72 wrote:The convertible would be a no. Those cars did not come with a factory bar that was above the drivers head. See this forum discussion viewtopic.php?f=22&t=53 . Car with T- tops, you will need a reply from the technical commitee to find out for sure, it's kinda a gray area, but T- tops may also fall under convertible rules.
If hardtops for convertible are a no go, I guess it's going to be the same for the T-tops but let's see what the technical committee says.
I might transform the 75 and put a full roll cage in it. Do you know anyone in the region who has done that on a C3 or who could help doing that?
--
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

We have a few guys in the area who do cage work, depends where you live. As far as doing one in that car, any good builder can do a custom cage in any car. A cage is a good idea even if you don't breakout, but it's a pain in a street driven car. Make sure your builder understands our rules and specs. A cage for hillclimb and a drag race cage are two very different things. You may want to have your builder contact out tech inspectors if they have never done a Scca spec cage. Hope we see you and your cars out there this year.
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Best bet is to look through the rules. Absence of a full steel roof requires a bar AT LEAST, a cage if exceeding breakout times. I would consider 5 point harness a MUST, for a variety of reasons. If you are concerned with cutting the stock seat for a sub belt, 6 point belts will work without cutting the seat. We allow a stock 3-point only under very limited conditions, and even then, full harness is a better choice.
And full harness is "cheap speed" - you can drive better when you are consistently behind the steering wheel!
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

I doubt you'll be near the break out time with either car-but don't let stop you from looking into cages.
With the exception of the rally class, we run one person per car. BUT...during our fam (familiarzation) runs, we allow passengers if the person has credentials and your car has a passenger seat + belts-and the passenger has a helmet.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
RacingFrog

Post by RacingFrog »

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like the roll cage is the only way to go for these cars in hillclimb so they will just stay with autocross for the time being.
We might seek cheaper alternatives such as legends car or thunder roadster for hillclimb races. That should be fun with a lower cost. Anyone racing any of these in New England?
--
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------Lookie at the pic--------------------------------------------------------->>>
Its a dwarf (mod-lite)-cousin to a legends. Legends are expensive for lesser grade parts--and are made like crap. You can find much more for your money in a used dwarf car. A Thunder roadster would work well-there is a guy in Pa. that runs one.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Found this on RacingJunk.com:
.SearchAds By DayMost RecentMost PopularManufacturer's ShowcaseClassifieds :: Asphalt Oval Racing Cars :: Dwarf/Legends.

Dwarf Bare Chassis and Engine

Ad #2409890 Posted:2011-12-17 17:57:22
This ad expires in 59 days.
$1,750.00

reduced price $1750. Includes whole front end and spare parts.
Above Added: Tue January 10, 2012, 1:36 am EST
Bare chassis dwarf car with a 32 Ford Victoria body, built off a JagSport Chassis. 1998 Suzuki 1100 water-cooled engine. Asking $2000 or best offer for the bare chassis with motor still in car. This engine has won many races and finished in the top in points the last couple of seasons run. For questions, please email at michelle2488@live.com.

Seller Phone Number: 334-235-9009
Seller Phone Number2: (334) 235-201

!st time I've seen a "Thunder" for sale w/o engine - Sherm can hook you up with where to get a good, reliable engine for reasonable $ - none of which apply to the Yamaha FJ in "car" applications.
This ad expires in 61 days.
$3,000.00

AMS Thursday Night Thunder Championship Car.
Sold as a Complete ROLLER. Add engine and go racing.

Call James Meredith @ 678-907-4423.
Also have Nextel Simpson Racing suit for $300.

Seller Phone Number: (678) 432-5804
http://s3.racingjunk.com/ui/8/89/244628 ... ampion.jpg

IMHO-Anything built by 600 racing will need some reinforcing and re-enginering to do hillclimbs - an "off-brand" or homebuilt dwarf is quite a bit closer
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151