Split times

Chief Geek
AntiSpam: No

2012 Philo

Post by Chief Geek »

Assuming I get everything fixed (see previous post), where do people want split times at Philo? I've never done split times there and have no idea where would be best.

The limits are these:
- My computer, electronics, and I have to be on the wire side of the road.
- It is really helpful, but not required, to be within 20 ft of my car. If I park elsewhere, I need to borrow a big 12vdc battery to power everything. I learned at the Max event that the stock Mazda2 battery will power my timing gear for about 6 hours. That battery is twice the size of the size of an old stock Miata battery, but that still isn't very big.
- I have 2 sensors allowing the hill to be split into 3 sectors.
- I have 900ft of wire to put between my electronics and both sensors, (3) at 250ft and (1) at 150ft. Any combination of these 4 lengths of wire is OK.

It is totally OK to run sensor wire though the woods, it doesn't have to follow the road. This is how I got the sensor between sectors 2 & 3 so far after Turn 14 at 2012 Ascutney 2. It is possible for me to run sensor wire over the road or thru a culvert if it helps with sensor location.

If anyone has a couple wood or steel posts I can hammer into the ground, please bring them and a hammer. Because Philo is a little narrow, we may choose a sensor location that exceeds the maximum slope for cheap camera tripods.

Yes, yes. I'll try to back the sensors farther off the road.

Comment please.

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
KevinGale

Re: Split times

Post by KevinGale »

The rock turn is worth thinking about. A little before to a little after that turn would be interesting.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

The rock turn check 2 and check 4 are really only places you'll be able to park your car. Unsure how you connect to the system, the rock turn has the intersection to contend with, so that might cause you some limitations with running your own wire.
I do agree that 2 would be interesting to see just how fast some people can get through there.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Chief Geek

2012 Philo split times

Post by Chief Geek »

Philo drivers
Does anyone have an opinion where I should do split times this weekend?

So far, the consensus seems to be for me to be at check 2 (the rock).

Tell me which of these sensor location options would be most useful to the drivers:

A) 500 ft before and 500 ft after the rock
B) at the rock and 1000 ft after the rock
C) 1000 ft before the rock and at the rock
D) 250 ft before the rock and 750 ft after the rock
E) some other combination of distances
F) some other checkpoint

You get the idea. Basically, the main limit is that I have (4) 250 ft lengths of sensor wire and I need to work near my car (for power and supplies).

Let me know.

Paul
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
jkale

Post by jkale »

F.

I think check 4 to just after check 5 would be interesting.. its a pretty technical section..
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

With the lay of the land, you could do 500ft before + after the rock with 200ft of wire going thru the woods.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

If we are going to do the rock turn I'd keep it fairly short. Try to start just before the braking zone and stop not too far into the acceleration zone. My thought is this will give a fairer picture of how well people are getting through the corner. If we do 500' before and after then big power cars automatically look good since we come in fast and leave fast.
Chief Geek

2012 Philo

Post by Chief Geek »

Based on the groups apparent consensus, I'll try do Saturday at Check 2.

I like Kevin's point about trying to capture a corner/sector time that is power-independent. The challenge I see revolves around my assumption that #36 uses a breaking point is somewhat later than #98 does. Additionally, we have yet to establish that #395 actually has a braking point.

Does the collective think that we can find braking points and end-of-corner points to achieve this across classes?

Would someone knowledgeable about these things volunteer to give me a hand on Fri evening or 1st thing on Sat AM to choose sensor locations?

If the feedback isn't as interesting as you'd hoped, let me know because there's no reason we can't move the sensors around or move me to check 4. My goal is to provide useful feedback to the drivers. If the data isn't useful, or at least entertaining, you'll be doing me a favor by telling me.

Paul

PS I was wondering... Since most the Philo road is about 3" narrower than #25, does Kevin actually have a "line"? I wouldn't think that basing your steering inputs around which side makes more frequent twig-snapping sounds should count. Opinions?

PPS I'll bring some galvanized roofing nails and a hammer to mark sensor locations. My GRAND SCHEME was to record sensor locations as actual GPS positions (+/-5 ft), but I don't own a GPS precise enough to accomplish this. If anyone does and would help me out, I'd appreciate it.
KevinGale

Re: 2012 Philo

Post by KevinGale »

Chief Geek wrote: Additionally, we have yet to establish that #395 actually has a braking point.
I think Kiwi's are taught that the middle pedal should only be used in an emergency.
Chief Geek wrote: PS I was wondering... Since most the Philo road is about 3" narrower than #25, does Kevin actually have a "line"? I wouldn't think that basing your steering inputs around which side makes more frequent twig-snapping sounds should count. Opinions?
That's the great part about driving at Philo. I don't have to worry about what line to drive. No more second guessing if I should go wide or take an early or late apex. I just try to keep the front wheels mostly on the road. I can't see the back wheels so I don't worry about them.

This year I'm going all out. For the first time ever I'm going to use my quick change rear end. I'm actually changing gears for Philo. 4.42 gears going in. I think I will launch in second and shift once. I'm pretty sure I can take the rest of the hill in third.
britracer89

Post by britracer89 »

I would like to see turns 9 thru 11 or 12. Check point at 11 I think. Dont know what check number.