What to do

Challenger392
AntiSpam: No

Re: What to do

Post by Challenger392 »

I have one more Question. If I were to buy a convertible race car, say a spec miata or a 914, and it had no windshield but it had a roll bar behind the drivers head would that be legal as long as it was slower than the breakout time for a full rollcage? And If wound up being faster than the breakout time what modifications would have to be made in order for it to be legal?
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Challenger392 wrote:If I bring a six pack will that buy me a ride?
Rides are free. Plenty of open seats. Bring a legal helmet (SA2005 or better; or FIA legal)

Next NEHA event is Ascutney in September.

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Challenger392 wrote:I have one more Question. If I were to buy a convertible race car, say a spec miata or a 914, and it had no windshield but it had a roll bar behind the drivers head would that be legal as long as it was slower than the breakout time for a full rollcage? And If wound up being faster than the breakout time what modifications would have to be made in order for it to be legal?
Convertibles have special requirements, best to examine the rules on this site before going down that road.
The toyota would work, and you wouldn't be the first one to run one.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

The roll bar- assuming it is a 4 point and meets our cage construction specs for material and attachment can substitute for a full roof.

The lack of a windshield frame presents a problem. We dont want anybody clotheslining and killing themselves if they go off and under a cable, gate or tree branch- the various hills do have low steel cables and gates that are put across trails for one reason or another, and we have had people go off and run into them. A stock windshield frame would go a long way to protect you from this by deflecting it up and (probably) over you.

Without a windshield you would want to go ahead and add halo and A-pillar bars (now its caged). This is actually better than the windshield as it also has value in a rollover and will do a lot more to stop intrusion of trees and large fixed rocks.
The older I get the better I was.
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

Id rather not get decapitated. Ive been cloths lined off a dirt bike enough times already. :shock: last thing I want to do is lose my head
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K