Ascutney II Length Change

Terry.Murphy
AntiSpam: No

Ascutney II Length Change

Post by Terry.Murphy »

Good Morning Everyone,

I haven't seen anyone post about the change of the hill length but I am sure many people are aware of the discussions at the last two Okemos. We will be running the hill and having finish at Check 7, right where you start to cross the bridge. The hopes of this event is to regain some lost competitors due to the bumps after checkpoint 7. The thought in staging is to cross finish, go up to the old finish/lookout and come back down the hill to stage like we do at Okemo where someone will be placing the first car.

There will be a Saturday night discussion held to see how everyone feels about it so make sure to get in touch with Jeff to share your feelings! Additionally, we are toying with the method of running the whole hill next spring, funny, I know!

There is a new breakout time being put together with the help of Don T/Kevin G.

Have fun and we will see you at the hill in a few weeks!
2010 Subaru Forester DD
1996 Legacy Outback Wagon - Winter Beater
2001 Impreza RS - Project Autox/Hillclimb/Track Car
walterclark

Re: Ascutney II Length Change

Post by walterclark »

I am glad to see SCCNH is taking this step. Thanks.

As much as I like the rest of the hill above 7, for me it has become a matter of surviving between check 7 and finish. The bumps have progressively become much worse and in the past season or two I found myself slowing to avoid being bounced into the woods. I have even considered running my gravel springs and struts at Ascutney, even though they would be a serious compromise on the rest of the road.
The older I get the better I was.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I have my gps datalogs from the last event.
Given the break out is 3:20 and my times last time were 3:22. I might be able to assist giving you a new break out time at whatever location is deemed best for the finish.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

For what it's worth my last couple of runs were 2:36 at the start of the bridge.
Sachilles
jkale

Post by jkale »

This is a huge bummer for me. I want to race Ascutney, and I love the top(above check 7), and I was planning on competing next month... but if this is the case... :x
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Not a fan of shortening the hill. I am a fan of extending it to the full 4 miles.

I actually love the section above check 7. It isn't smooth. Nobody goes off the road up there; why is that? People going slower? I think I am at 95% top speed in that section (100% being the corner right before check 2).

Historical reasons not to change it.... Nostalgic. Not a good argument; just throwing it out there.

I had to pause and first determine if I was fighting change or truly do not like the prospect of not running above check 7. I don't like the idea.

The squeaky wheel (people who don't like it) normally gets the grease, therefore, those that DO like above checkpoint 7 really need to step forward also.

Whiny, cranky, and put away wet.... Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

I was already asked my opinion on this but just to get it in writing. I don't like it. I like the section above check 7. It's the only place I can really push the car. When I get past the bridge I'm a happy man. The crown on the botton part is a bigger problem for me. Of course I don't worry a bit about breaking the car and my soft suspension and big soft tires handle the bumps pretty well.

But I'll still be there no matter what course.

If we have a distance on the new course we can calculate a breakout fairly easily. Also after the event we will have an average time from the results. That is what we used to set the breakout times in the first place. So I think we should make a guess for this first event and if we are going to keep using this short course we can compare our guess to the average and adjust as needed.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I don't enjoy the bumps on the way down. I don't mind on the way up.
If folks have to go up and down(the bumpier section) it at the slower pace, will you get more entrants? IE, is it because some low ground clearance cars are having issues with it? Will they be ok if they still need to go over the section to turn around?

Perhaps giving folks one last chance at the short course as it sits, while getting split times from check 7 to establish a future move. Perhaps an informal vote at the drivers meeting, about the future of that section, just like when Dave asked about doing the long course at the last ascutney.
Sachilles
Terry.Murphy

Post by Terry.Murphy »

I am sure there will be many more discussions regarding this change at the event itself. I agree with all comments currently posted but it was brought to a vote and passed for this event only at this time. Everyone please continue to feel free to discuss on this board so we can asses it for next year based off of everyone's opinions rather than just those that helped initiate the change. Thanks a lot.

Terry
2010 Subaru Forester DD
1996 Legacy Outback Wagon - Winter Beater
2001 Impreza RS - Project Autox/Hillclimb/Track Car
BugEyeRex

Post by BugEyeRex »

Personally I dislike the idea of shortening the course. My suspension is extremely stiff for the weight of the car. I just adjust my line and speed accordingly.
Chris Rielly

93 Blue Impreza 4dr (toy)
02 Blue WRX Wagon (toy)
98 Green Civic 4dr (basic transport)
08 Red GTI 4dr (toy when given permission from the boss)