Ascutney #2 (2012) Videos and Photos and Thanks

Georgethefierce
AntiSpam: No

Re: Ascutney #2 (2012) Videos and Photos and Thanks

Post by Georgethefierce »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:So... as a new hillclimber, how did you like how the Dwarf handled the crown in the road and the bumps?

Steve (driving the Golf with the American flag on the roof)
It was definitely a challenge, the crown was more intimidating than the bumps as the road often chose my line for me. Being the first time that I have ever driven the car on anything other than a smooth, flat surface it was quite an eye opener, I can't even imagine what would happen if the course was extended up to the turn around, my skid plate got a work out as it was! That being said, I was slow, I had trouble processing the course and left tons and tons of time on the table I have great respect for you guys that put up the quick times!
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Hopefully some of you will find this interesting.
I have data logs from my car at the spring ascutney with the 2.5l non turbo motor, and from this ascutney with the 2.0l turbo motor. Taking into account the shortened course, I compared the two. My times did improve, but I certainly felt a little more overwelmed with the new motor, certainly more time was to be had.
Below is a chart with approximate distance on the x axis and speed on the y axis comparing the two setups. Distance is off a touch based on the data starting closer to the stop sign at the bottom of the hill when I turn the logger on.
The picture is a little big so it gets cut off, if you care to see more to the right, click on the thumbnail sized photo below and you'll see the full graph. It cuts off the legend, so red is turbo, and blue is non turbo. It actually cuts it off right about check 7(or maybe not depending on your browser).

You can see that although the car is faster, I may have actually got on the brakes harder and slowed down in places where I didn't before. In essence cornering slower. You can see at turn one with the less powerful motor I didn't feel the need to slow down to take the turn, where I did with the turbo motor. You also see on the right side of the chart, the non turbo line goes up, that is from running check7 above at full speed, and paddock speed with the turbo. Much, much to learn.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

Glad I went to the event, even though doing the short course was a bit unfullfilling after doing the long course a few weeks prior. The reason I am glad I went mostly, was visiting with friends and seeing everyone. Also glad I listened to Kevin Dennis and stayed sunday and towed back monday as I had the day off. Friday night involved a french man, a Kiwi, and a french pollock, trying to install a motorcycle battery in a German car, that was interesting, at around 11pm after a few cocktails. Sat and Sunday racing were still fun. Clark and Nancy Hinchman were kind enough to share some delicious steak and veggies, and invited Kiwi and I over for dinner sunday night, when Clark learned I was just gonna throw a can of beef stew in the fire and have that for dinner. And as usual, had a great time listening to John Reed and Smokey JR give me history leasons on Neha's past cars and characters, around the fire. And I"m not sure but I think we surprised Smokey for his B-day which was awesome. Pretty sure this will be the last event of the year for me driving. I don't like the fininsh at Philo and I don't expect the course to be shortend on my behalf. Also, plan on throwing in a Ford flat head motor, and changing my class next year to the newly created ( by myself) S2000 Preparred, so as not to be "class shopping" . As I don't really care about class wins or " I Beat Walter " t-shirts, as much as I do care about improving and competing against my biggest competion, myself, and on courses I have done and have set times on. Though I would like a " I beat Kiwi" T- shirt, no mention to the fact he was in a Daewoo at the time needs to be made . It's funny that the two cars/ drivers I do compare my times to are not even in my class, one has a much bigger motor, the other a littler one. The question I have, how is "course" shopping any better than "class" shopping? If this is going to be a course run more often in the future, I don't think Ascutney will be the event that I have missed birthdays and anniversaries for any longer. I also thought this event was to bring back more cars from the past, but it seemed to be the same old crowd, and did not have these open wheel and formula cars I had envisioned being there. On the drive home I really started to think about how fortunate were are to have people like Don, Walter, Sharon, Michelle, Kevin and many others who we couldn't do this with out, and I hope they come for a long time because I hope I am fortunate enough to have as many years as Smokey hillclimbing with great people, which is the most important thing. I do however think that using the most pavement that we are allowed to by the state should be capitalized on, becasue we do not know when or if we may lose another hill.
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

honda#72 wrote: I hope I am fortunate enough to have as many years as Smokey hillclimbing with great people, which is the most important thing.
That's my goal as well. It's been more than 20 years since my first hillclimb and I don't see any reason why I won't be attending for 20 more. Right now I haven't missed a NEHA hillclimb in either 18 or 19 years (I think it is 19 but it was a while ago either way).
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

There are a dozen good cars parked right now, because of the economy/money and similar issues.
Kiwi

Post by Kiwi »

Ascutney II was a great event in terms of competition, and it was organized and run well, we ended up with about 5 runs on each day! Thanks to the organizers and the workers for another fantastic event.

These two videos are from my fastest run of the weekend, unfortunately on Saturday!
In-car camera

Outside camera

My views on running the very short course are probably well known by now. Run the LONG COURSE please! Racing the entire hill is just incredible. Best hill in the regular series without a doubt. (Just look at the long course video below).

Jamie (Kiwi)
--
Jamie Melhuish
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Here is my fastest run of Sunday, with data.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
W.Vaillancourt

Post by W.Vaillancourt »

There seems to be a excessive amount of rubber down on the road. Were the drift guys there again or did someone just enjoy the small of burning rubber in the morning???

Jamie- I would really enjoy seeing a picture of your car on two wheels at the bridge lol. :o
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

The rubber is from a drift event held between the Max Long Ascutney, and the Neha Ascutney. Wish I had know about it.
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
kindabratty328

Post by kindabratty328 »

The hill was actually rented by a company who was doing tire testing... though it certainly looks like a drift competition from all the rubber on the road. It didn't sound like the folks at Ascutney were too happy about it.
Breathe in... breathe out... move on.