Ginetta at Okemo, et al

vmax
AntiSpam: No

Ginetta at Okemo, et al

Post by vmax »

I'm looking for photos, results, etc. of a Ginetta G4R that was raced in New England between 1965 and 1971. The original owner was Jack Walsh, who ran it at Sebring and then with the SCCA (FM) in 1965. Its history is unknown until approximately 1969, when Dick Pepin competed with the car at C.O.M. track events and hillclimbs. I have documentation of it running at Okemo in, if I recall, 1969. Any further documentation of the car's hillclimb history would be greatly appreciated.

The photo in the following link is from Sebring. The car later ran without the hard-top and was painted blue and then yellow.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1 ... 27-052.jpg

Thank you,

Ed Valpey
PRODOG

Re: Ginetta at Okemo, et al

Post by PRODOG »

Ed,

I recall the car when Dick ran it at Bryar with various clubs, I began going to hills in 1971 - I'll see what I might have for photos from either venue. If I find some I'll be happy to pass along. I'll also talk it up at our local club meetings.

Drew Young
smokey15

Post by smokey15 »

Ed,

I think we spoke a couple of years ago at Okemo and you mentioned that you had the Ginetta. I do remember the car competing at Okemo and it did quite well. It ran with the small block Corvettes. At the time, I was running a 67 Vette with a 327 C.I., 350 h.p. It was always a good match and I think the Genetta won it's share of the events. The Killington Sports Car Club was in charge of the events and we had a historical binder with results of all events with a short written description in our publication called, "Tach Topics." At one time I had posession of that binder but passed it on to John Reed, one of our members who was attempting to update the "history" and add to it. I'll email John and ask if he still has the document and if he can make it available.

Bob "Smokey" Smolinski
vmax

Post by vmax »

Drew,

Thank you for the reply. Anything you can come up with would be greatly appreciated. Still running the 510?

Bob,

Thank you as well for the reply. In fact, I think I may have you and Sim Shortman to thank, by way of Pat Curran, for the results that I do have. There are photocopies of a letter from you as President of the KSCC following the 10/12/69 Okemo event. There is also a copy of "Tach Topics" (Vol. 2 , No. 9) that covers the same event. These results show that the Ginetta finished 1st in Class B. Curiously, the Ginetta also posted the fastest time of all the cars listed in each class, yet at the top of the results it says "Fastest time of the day: Paul Choiniere 427 Cobra 120:00". I say curious because Paul Choiniere isn't listed as a competitor. Is it possible that the 1:20 mentioned was the course record established at a prior event?

I also have photocopies of portions of newsletters from, get this, NNEESCCC... the Northern New England Executive Sports Car Club. One page is titled "Personality of The Month" and discusses Dick's ascention to President of the club. Two others show results and a photo of the Ginetta at a 6/27/?? Bryar event where Dick finished first in the "Unrestriced Under Two [litre]" class. The time listed is 244.1 (total time for three laps maybe?). An additional two pages show the Ginetta listed for sale in the Classifieds sections: "For Sale - Ginetta G8 Sebring - very competative, Lotus twin cam engine, dry sump oil system, indepedent rear, mag wheels, new tires, good condition, $3,200 or will swap for Formula Ford Call Dick Pepin 603-668-1034". Obviously, the car didn't sell because he put it in the auction where I bought it in 1985. Lastly, there's a page written by Carl Feldman covering the Okemo Fall '70 event, where the Ginetta "... led the field all day and took F.T.D and a pair of Perelli tires." Sim Shortman came in second in his 427 Vette. A few years ago Sim gave me a copy of a movie taken at one of the Okemo events... there's a very short clip, blurred by trees in the foreground, of the Ginetta getting light over a crest as it screamed up the hill.

I don't mean to bore you with these details, but I thought it might save you, Drew or John the time of unearthing redundant material.

Thank you again for taking the time to help me with this endeavor.

Regards,

Ed
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

Ed,
I don't have any information for you, but I wanted to say good luck with your search! As one of the youngest members running this series, I think it's really cool to see all the history behind our sport. If you find any information offline, please share it here!
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
vmax

Post by vmax »

Save your newsletters... someday people will be trying to document your exploits.

Ed
Mopar 151w2

Re: Ginetta

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

http://www.racingjunk.com/Other/2765595/GINETTA-G4.html

Buried in with oddball "asphalt oval" cars in RacingJunk.com
PRODOG

Post by PRODOG »

Ed,

Yes I still have the 510 - as well as a newly acquired IT7 RX7 and a couple other projects. I am the "curator" of Sim Shortman's Vette as well which is for sale if you know anyone interested in a true "survivor" of the BP wars of the 70's and on. I'm still working on digging thru the archives (piles) in my office for material related to your Ginetta.

Best,

Drew