Eric Flachbart's safety thread

Mopar 151

Eric Flachbart's safety thread

Post by Mopar 151 »

From 2/10/09:
Hey group,

I took a 3 day Skip Barber racing school this past weekend at Laguna Seca. The school was awesome and the quality of the instruction is fantastic. I would urge anyone interested in racing, track days (or a hill climbs for that matter) to take one. I learned more in three days in their formula cars than I could have in several seasons of going it on my own. Laguna Seca is a beautiful track and the cork screw is so much fun.

Having said that. Sunday was raining heavily especially in the afternoon. The drainage on the straight wasn’t good, and there was a river going across the straight just before the start finish. I was out for my session and took the first two laps slowly, finding the rain line, and trying to see where the best grip in the corners were. On my third lap on the straight accelerating out of turn 11, the car lost all rear grip hydroplaning on that river. At that point, I was travelling about 70 mph, the car swapped ends, and I was two feet in and along for the ride into the wall. Since moto-gp has come to Laguna all of the corners have gravel traps and tire lined walls set way far back so the wall on the straight is the only possible place to hit anything hard. The car was totaled, with both front wheels gone, but I was fine, securely belted into the tub. Thanks to the car’s design, six point harness and a new Stand 21 helmet I walked away with so much as a bruise, and in fact waited till they improved the drainage , cleared the wreckage and jumped into another car to finish my session. I had in car video going as soon as the DVD arrives I will post the crash portion of it.

It was quite an experience, and I am glad to have it behind me. Coming back on the plane I got to thinking about all of our discussions on cages and safety and realized we have never spoken about Hans devices. It would seem to me that a cage is prudent and desired but from this experience especially in our series Hans devices may be even more important. I can tell you that slamming into a wall at 70 mph (or a tree at the same speed) generates one hell of an amount of g’s, and is a little rugged on the neck muscles. For the $650 bucks a sport version Hans costs it’s money well spent. In my opinion it’s probably even more important than a cage, and I would rather see someone (at least in closed cars) with a harness bar, harness and hans than in a cage alone. I think it should be required, and you won’t ever see me without one.

I am headed back to Laguna in March for the advanced two day school in the winged / sequential tranny cars. But I can tell you I won’t be driving with rivers or standing water on the track.

Eric

Porsche 914/6 and new to the family 1971 Ensign LNF3
Then he said:
Insurance is optional at $125 per day. Obviously it’s well worth it! I am glad it was their car rather than mine! Yes there are several Hans related devices I seem to remember seeing a comparison of them somewhere on the net. It may be that some of them do a better job than others re: different angles of impact. In regards to Mikes comment on light helmets that’s how I got to the Stand 21 helmet. They had me take photos of my head and various measurements. When the helmet arrived I thought is was too tight as it just about ripped my ears off when putting it on. Using a nomex balaclava solved that problem. Boy I am glad that helmet fit me so well. The helmet is going back to Stand 21 and I believe it is cracked and so had a three day life!

On 3/2;

Here is a utube clip of my little excursion at skippy school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWRS2K_mXdY

FOLLOWED BYIt’s rare they get that kind of rain there, but yes the school runs regardless. No that was not a skid pad, that was the straight at Laguna Seca, I had accelerated to about 75 mph at that point, and I was by far the slowest on the track trying to take it easy!

The point is that you have paid 4K for the school and they give no refunds and run no matter what. Grip was fine on the track everywhere else, but there was running water across the straight at two points. The car spins on the second one. Coincidentally this was the only place on the track where it is possible to hit something hard. There are huge gravel traps everywhere else.

I think what should have happened was for them to put a stop box in so that every car had to stop on every lap just before that river. That would have solved the problem.

I can tell you this. I will never run in rain that hard again, and when I go back for the advanced school it will be with a hans device as well as my own arm restraints neither of which are required.

Eric

Ouch. Glad you didn't sustain any physical injuries.

Smokey #15 NEHA

Eric,

That looked awfully wet. Does the school normally run in that kind of weather? Was it a skid pad? I'm not sure of what their point would be -- seems like any time you hit the brake or gas the car would tend to take off.

I won't even drive mine onto a trailer in that kind of wet.

Bob D'Amore

>
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151