Post by Rabbit Farmer »

The Anti-Stig.

Ying to Stig's Yang.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Challenger392
AntiSpam: No

Re: Legal or not

Post by Challenger392 »

The darth vader look is kinda what I was going for. I think since my car will have a roof I wont mind a black helmet. Ill just have to not leave it out in the sun. :shock: Also the Stig originally was black in the earlier seasons of top gear. In one episode the black stig drove a tweaked out jag off the ramp of an aircraft carrier, and their stig replacement ended up being white.
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Worse cases scenario, just get some reflective vinyl graphics for it, if you find the black causes too much heat.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

I switched from white to black last year and with a roof there isn't a difference. Both suck when it is hot. I at least have the air helmet and a blower. Just that stream of air blowing into the helmet goes a long way towards making it tolerable. I hate the heat. Philo is only event that I'm usually comfortable when I'm all suited up in the car.
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

Due to cost I think that I am going to stick with a conventional (non forced induction) helmet for now. Being the scrawny feller that I am I shed heat fairly easily so I'm not too worried about being too hot. Another question id like to throw out there is, what brands are good and what brands are cheap as far as safety equipment goes. Id love to get all the Sparco brand stuff I posted pictures of but its also not very cheap. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as good quality brands that are a little cheaper or should I just go with the good stuff since it is safety equipment?
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support

2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

If they are meeting the safety standard, then they are largely safe to use. The cheaper products, tend to save money on comfort. Driving suits can be real warm, so keep that in mind. More layers can make for more warmth, but better fire protection.
G-force and safety racing tend to have more budget friendly options at the expense of style and quality fit.
Search for "lemons safety equipment packages" for a package deal oriented for the 24 hours of lemons racers and chumpcar racers. They'll be budget oriented.
Safedrives.com rents head and neck restraints and have a rent to own program. That allows you to try the different styles before you buy, and the money is applied towards a purchase of one. Though you have to reserve a fair amount of time before the event to assure having something.
I won't tell you to skimp on anything. However I will say to find good gloves as that feel can make a huge difference.
You can also find good used stuff on ebay and a few other forums like specialstage.com, racingjunk.com and grassroots motorsports magazine.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

used racing suits - many of these are NASCAR crew suits, bought for a 1-2 race sponsor deal.
Race Image, based in Mooresville, NC, offers the largest selection of gently used NASCAR Racing Fire Suits anywhere! Top of the line suits from Simpson, Sparco, Puma, Momo, Alpine Stars, Impact, and more! Most of the suits we sell would cost $1500, or more, new. These suits are gently used for a season, and then we get them. Check out our huge selection at www.raceimage.com, and while you're there, take a look at our hot deals on Helmets, Gloves, Shoes, Nomex, and more!
http://www.raceimage.com/

$200 for this one....
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

Good info, thank you very much.
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support

2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

A word of caution. I have seen some of these crew suits and there were no labels (SFI, FIA, or even a generic fire retardant material label) on some of them indicating they were actually fire retardant. I would ask first and steer away from any that didnt have at least an SFI 3-2A/1 label.
The older I get the better I was.
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

KevinGale » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:11 pm >>
I hate the heat. Philo is only event that I'm usually comfortable when I'm all suited up in the car.
Challenger392 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:34 pm >>
Being the scrawny feller that I am I shed heat fairly easily so I'm not too worried about being too hot.
Challenger, are you calling Kevin fat? He's no more "over-upholstered" than I am. ;)

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)