Legal or not

KevinGale

Re: Legal or not

Post by KevinGale »

Chief Geek wrote:Challenger, are you calling Kevin fat? He's no more "over-upholstered" than I am. ;)
Paul
:lol:
I'm carrying a few more pounds than I'd like. If I lost 15-20 lbs I suspect the heat would probably bother me a bit less. Easier said than done however. One nice thing about racing cars is that that weight doesn't hurt me much. I used to race bicycles long ago and there a few lbs overweight was a huge problem! Of course then I was really skinny. I gave up bicycle racing because I couldn't upgrade the motor I was born with. I had really good endurance but no speed. I could ride more than 200 miles in a day without any problem but the fast guys could drop me any time they wanted. With cars I can build or buy something faster if it is that important to me.
Challenger392
AntiSpam: No

Post by Challenger392 »

Sorry Kevin any implications related to you "extra padding" were purely unintentional. Though I may have the edge on most people if I attempt the deawoo challenge. :D
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

Well...

Rich(Dad) and I are buying Dave Estey's Miata.

With a race car that has, maybe, 100 hp, I'll have to think about my own weight some more. It's probably safe to say our 1.8l Miata engine makes less torque than the average quarry truck, unlike the monster in #25.

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Chief Geek wrote:It's probably safe to say our 1.8l Miata engine makes less torque than the average quarry truck, unlike the monster in #25.
Yeah I've heard a lot of good things about Miata's but tons of torque wasn't one of them. Too bad I can't loan you a couple hundred ft lbs occasionally. On the other hand you won't be worrying about slight over application of throttle resulting in a trip into the woods. It will probably be more fun to drive.

That I think is another part of the appeal of the Daewoo. You can drive the car at it's limits and not be going scary fast. Cutting the corner at check 1 at Burke in the Daewoo is probably fun. In my car at over 100 it's intense but not really fun while it is happening. :shock:

Actually Sherm convinced me not to cut that corner anymore and stay on the pavement. It was great advice. I just get too much air cutting the corner and I start to wonder if the car is going to settle and grab before it shoots off the pavement. Taking it like a normal corner brings the fear level down to a manageable amount.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Burke will be a different experience for me this year. With Scrappy's non turbo motor, I could hold the peddle down all the way from start to almost check 3 without lifting. Without lifting it would still slow down some :lol: . The turbo motor means I'm going to have to alter that approach a little.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

sachilles wrote:Burke will be a different experience for me this year. With Scrappy's non turbo motor, I could hold the peddle down all the way from start to almost check 3 without lifting. Without lifting it would still slow down some :lol: . The turbo motor means I'm going to have to alter that approach a little.
From the rules of hillclimbing http://www.hillclimb.org/goodstuff2.html
"Flat foot" is a relative term. So just because the guy driving a diesel Chevette says he can keep his foot down through all the corners does not mean you should try it in your big block Corvette.
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

I got a ride in a 300 hp, 250 lb-ft gen1 Miata once. It was very exciting. One problem with torque is it's impact on the rest of the drive line. After that Miata's engine was upgraded, the drive shaft was OK but:
- diff lasted 300 yards
- clutch lasted 1.5 smokey burn-outs on lousey tires
- half shafts/CVs lasted 2 weeks
- the Miata's typically terrific brakes were suddenly adequate at best

I know exactly what you mean about higher performance not necessarily meaning more fun. Many years ago, I switched directly from 185/60-14, OEM baloney-skin to a fresh set of 205/55-15 Bridgestone RE010s. Instead of tossing the car around at will, I now had to reach 3X the speed limit to get the tires to react at all.

This year, it's crappy tires for me.

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

No one has yet come up with a way of measuring fun so that point system is going to have to wait.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

KevinGale wrote:No one has yet come up with a way of measuring fun so that point system is going to have to wait.
If you're giggling or saying "weeeeeeee" out loud, that is a score of 100%
(Bunch of stuff between 99% and 1%)
If you got something from that $35 hooker, the score is 0%

The stuff in between is based on personal insights.

S
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I think Larry Flynt came up with a system for measuring "fun factor"... I think it only had 3 possibilities, but it worked.
The older I get the better I was.