Peer review of newbie safety plan

Chief Geek
AntiSpam: No

Re: Peer review of newbie safety plan

Post by Chief Geek »

Kevin

Knowing the background story makes it seem more reasonable.

Knowing that you were a rookie in a modifed before Kelly entered the picture makes LOTS of sense.

I've experienced, first hand, that faster cars give you less warning before they throw themselves off the road. After driving a stock 92 Miata every day, driving a 94 RX7 was a huge step. I have to believe that the street-car-to-modified step is at least as big.

Paul

PS I may have been the 1st person in North America to slide a Gen3/'94 RX7 off the road. Dad said it was one of 2 in the US (in mid-'92) at the time. Man, when the boost hits in 2nd gear, the rear will unhook easily. I probably would have been fine if I had a clue what I was doing.
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Chief Geek wrote:Kevin
Knowing that you were a rookie in a modifed before Kelly entered the picture makes LOTS of sense.
That would have made sense but actually this was in 1995 so we had already been married 6 years at that point (and together for 11). Kelly was working at finish when I left the road. She's good in an emergency. She just calmly asked if I was OK over the wire and that was that. Ray was more upset. I'd just crashed his car and because he didn't even get a run on Sunday my DNF beat his DNS. Not a a great way to treat the car owner. :lol:
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

Wait... The modified you shared, years ago, was your starter car?

You must have been really young to think that was a good idea.

Paul
Good thing im young, otherwise I'd have no excuse for buying Smokeys howe Mod :lol:
Last edited by Challenger392 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Challenger392 wrote:Good thing im young, otherwise I'd have no excuse for buying Smokeys howe Mod :lol:
Glad you did. We need some young blood!
Mopar 151w2

Don't try this at home!

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

I grew up around Modifieds. Other than a couple ice races years ago, I've never signed an entry for anything without slicks and a nasty V-8 :twisted:
KevinGale

Re: Don't try this at home!

Post by KevinGale »

Mopar 151w2 wrote:I grew up around Modifieds. Other than a couple ice races years ago, I've never signed an entry for anything without slicks and a nasty V-8 :twisted:
I'm with you John. Although I'm not sure the "Mighty 305" qualified as nasty. It was a V8. The rules for S and U classes are too complicated anyway. :roll: It's easier to put on slicks and run P or F. :)