Roof Diagonal

Marty_E
AntiSpam: No

Roof Diagonal

Post by Marty_E »

I'm currently working on the cage for the Scirocco, and trying to fit the roof diagonal. We only have one, no X or V and wondering what people prefer for mounting locations. I've decided to start the bar at the front corner at the roof bar and the windshield bar. This is because the cockpits already pretty tight in the Scirocco and having the bar run directly over head would give us VERY little clearance if any at all. I would obviously prefer to run it to the corner of the roof bar and the main hoop but unless someone knows a trick to get a bar into to 90 corners that I'm unaware of, it doesn't seem possible to get it in there. 1.75x.095 DOM doesn't like to bend into places for whatever reason. So my question is do I mount the other end on the roof bar, just a little fore of the main hoop/roof bar junction, or do I mount it on the main hoop just inboard of the roof bar? My current thinking makes me think the roof bar for several reasons : A) I want to weld the main hoop back brace directly in line with the roof bar, to avoid putting the main hoop in shear, and welding a the roof diagonal away from this node would undermine this. B) Like I already said, it's pretty tight in the scirocco, and mounting it slightly forward on the roof bar would move it away from our heads whereas mounting it on the main hoop would move it closer.

Does either work fine and therefore go with the more room?

I've seen examples of both but that doesn't mean either is right.