Hoosier Tire Mid-Atlantic

walterclark

Hoosier Tire Mid-Atlantic

Post by walterclark »

I bought Hoosier DOT-R wet and dry tires over the past 2 weeks.

I ordered the wets from Hoosier Tire Great Plains web site first a bout a 2 weeks ago. The banner on their home page shows a spring shipping special of $5.95 (on most everything). I received the tires less last Saturday, shipped from the Hoosier distribution center in PA. , for the $5.95.

I held off a week before getting the A6 ordered and then waited this past week because of the recent cold snap (its not recommended to ship these tires when the temps re below freezing). This morning I ordered them, but this time from Hoosier Tire Mid-Atlantic. They have an identical web site to HTGP, right down to the spring special and the "Live Help" call number. I went with them this time because they indicated the tires I wanted would "ship today" - which being Saturday probably means Monday. Went thru the checkout process including the SPRING coupon code for the $5.95 shipping, no problem. When I got the email receipt a short time later I checked the invoice it showed an $85 shipping charge. What? So I called. Well the person on the phone said, these tires are excluded from the "special" which in the fine print says does not include "Road Race" and a couple other categories which must include about 90% of what Hoosier makes...Huh? . Not only that, they dont actually have any in stock - so the "ships today" is BS. The best I could get on the phone - even explaining I had just purchased the H20 (same tire, different tread) with the $5.95 coupon was $65 shipping. I am registering a complaint at Hoosier.
The older I get the better I was.
sachilles

Re: Hoosier Tire Mid-Atlantic

Post by sachilles »

You ran hankooks last year right? Not up to expectations?
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Mopar 151w2
AntiSpam: No

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

I'd expect nothing less from a Hoosier distributor. I sure wish Goodyear still made Modified tires in the US.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

sachilles wrote:You ran hankooks last year right? Not up to expectations?
They were fine. Somewhere I read they were considered to be 90% of a Hoosier at just a bit over 50% of the price. I dont have experience on Hoosiers yet so have to take others word for that. I really cooked them at Lime Rock last July and they were much greasier feeling after that at the hillclimbs - my fault, I shouldnt have run a soft compound tire like the C71 for 20 minute stints. Anyway, the Hancooks have gone up this year so the price gap to the Hoosier's has narrowed enough to make the jump less painful for me and the C71 compound I would want isnt going to be in stock for at least 2 months.

Some of the reason I didnt go Hoosier last year was the narrowest A6 size they have is just enough wider in section width than the Hancook that I had clearance issues to deal with, where the same P-metic size in the Z214 on the same 7" wheel just cleared the rear wheel wells with some lip trimming. I bit the bullet and am cutting/shaping the rear wheel wells, and flaring the lip to clear the Hoosier this year. Nothing visible from the outside of the car. Now the body and wheel well itself closely follows the shape of the plastic decorative flares that rivet to the GTI. Before, they were primarily decorative - the original sheet metal was still under there and was the same as the Golf, except where I trimmed it a bit.
The older I get the better I was.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Hoosier tire East had screwed me over too. I ordered the spec tire we had run in the dirt on a monday-was told there was no problem getting them by the weekend-the truck was coming in Weds direct from the factory- Gladly billed my card-call Weds-tires didn't make it-"maybe the truck was full". Yea great-now I had no time to get them from anyone else. If there was the slightest question of them not making it in time, from Monday I would have had a chance to find somewhere else-but was assured it wasn't an issue. Besides having them sized all over the place-and leaking thru the letters on the side-they were expensive to boot. (Note-I did buy some Hoosier road race take offs and they seems much higher quality than the dirt tires.) American Racers for me now.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

I've certainly been much happier now that I've found a local guy to buy the Hoosier modified tires from. I go there pick out the tires and pay the guy. It sure beats dealing with Hoosier Tire East or the other distributor I tried.

The distributor was the worst. My brother in-law worked there and his boss said he could give me a deal. In the end I got screwed. He didn't have the tires in stock and ordered them from Hoosier Tire East. They were UPS shipped to the distributor. He added a $20 handling fee to the same price I could get from Hoosier Tire East. Then he added the shipping cost to him and the shipping from him to me. So I paid shipping twice and a $20 handling fee. When I asked how this was a "great deal" he said that his usual handling fee was $35. So he saved me $15. :twisted:

Ordering directly from Hoosier Tire East isn't as bad but each time I have to go through a grilling where they assume I'm some sort of low life that is trying to cheat in some local modified series. Buying from the local guy is so much nicer and I don't have to pay shipping.
DennisRacing3

Post by DennisRacing3 »

Kevin,
What other size tires can you get? Can you get 10"x15" slicks? I liked the hoosiers but they only lasted two events for me until they stopped working. They were also used. But I think I paid 375 to my door from John Burgett? Spelling may be incorrect. I would rather pay much less than that. Always trying to save some bills.
Josh
Racing on the edge isnt dangerous its a game
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

If you are looking for take offs, I've had real good luck with this guy.http://stores.ebay.com/Race-Tires-USDRRT
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

DennisRacing3 wrote:Kevin,
What other size tires can you get? Can you get 10"x15" slicks? I liked the hoosiers but they only lasted two events for me until they stopped working. They were also used. But I think I paid 375 to my door from John Burgett? Spelling may be incorrect. I would rather pay much less than that. Always trying to save some bills.
Josh
The guy I buy them from just has modified tires. I don't understand his deal exactly. Hoosier Tire East was nice enough to give me his name. They said "We can't sell you tires but we can give you a name of someone who might help you out." Anyway he has a tractor trailer truck full of tires whenever I show up.
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

Time to get some 15x15 wheels for mini max
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports