Ascutney I (2013) thanks, photos, and videos

3rdgendennis

Re: Ascutney I (2013) thanks, photos, and videos

Post by 3rdgendennis »

I had an awesome time this weekend! Thanks to the geezers who put on the event! I think losing 2nd gear on Saturday was actually really good for me... learned a lot about carrying more speed through the corners. Does anyone know who was working the bridge on Sunday? I saw at least 4 cameras, and I'd love to see some of those pictures
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

walterclark wrote:That is in narrow. I recently updated the firmware and things like narrow became an option.
Thanks, I definitely want that mode.
DaveEstey
AntiSpam: No

Post by DaveEstey »

Chief Geek wrote:Rich (#55x) and I (#13x) learned a lot, didn't break anything, and had a great time. I haven't burned that much adrenaline since college. Just fantastic.

Rich/Dad doesn't do "forums" but he enjoyed himself so much that he's really annoyed that he'll miss Burke because he and Mom are babysitting their grand-kids that weekend. Mom has been put on notice not to schedule anything for a hill climb weekend ever again.

Thanks to Don, Drew, & the workers. Everything went perfectly, couldn't have been better.

Thanks Mike, John, Jamie, Chris, and all the rest of our "rookie-driver coaches". You all made it safer, faster, and more fun for both of us.

Thanks to Dave E's wife. Her hay-burner forced Dave to sell his old ride in order to build his new one. Thanks to Dave for keeping it in such good shape. Miata calipers don't normally come off of the slider-pins without a heavy dose of foul language.

Neither of us can wait until the next event.

Paul
I'm glad to see the car in good hands and creating big smiles.

I told you I serviced the brakes twice annually! Those damn calipers seize up in no time.

Big thanks to the guys in charge both in front of and behind the scenes. Really well run event and the RX7 has certainly proven itself worthy of continued development - starting with a cage. Goal for fall Ascutney is dropping another 100 pounds out of the car, including the additional weight of the cage.

Pretty sure it was Erik's wife and Terry Murphy's "The Lady" at the bridge with the cameras.
1987 Mazda RX-7 GXL (Hillclimb)
1987 Mazda RX-7 Sport (Lemons)
2008 Mazda MX-5
2015 Ford F-350
2007 Toyota Prius (the fast car)
http://www.DaveEstey.com
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

So I started using the program torque to datalog scrappy through his obd 2 adapter. Doing double duty at Ascutney sort of killed a little more time than I anticipated, so I didn't realize that it wasn't working just right. I also didn't have my camera going for the runs where it was running right. :(
So long story short, I have a new video editing program called dashware that I'm trying out. It does a better job with the raw video than with race render, at least with my camera.

So I need to change some settings on the data logger, but below is a video where it integrates with the video. Take it with a grain of salt as the data isn't perfectly synced, and some of it is just plain missing. So if you see slow reactions on the gauges, know it's a work in progress. Dashware with "smooth" the data so it isn't completely crazy when data is missing.

Same run as before.

Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

What bluetooth device are you using to run torque?
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Generic elm257 adapter I got on newegg.com for about $12.
Works well, but the downside is you have to have it on for 5+ minutes before you actually log to get it to see all the sesnors, AND a good sampling rate.
So for me, it wasn't really fully ready to go when I'd hit the starting line. This weekend I used the phones gps, but I also have a qstarz 818xt bluetooth gps which will do 10hz.

If you do torque for data and use dashware, know that you have to remap some sensors to make them work, despite already having a torque profile in the software.
Sachilles
SevenhundredS
AntiSpam: No

Post by SevenhundredS »

Yeah, I know you've all moved on to Burke but I'm not sure if I'll have it back together by then. Meanwhile, my mean :twisted: first gear start! Ok, not that mean but...
[youtube]http://youtu.be/IC-ZRDkmyd8[/youtube]
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

SevenhundredS wrote:Yeah, I know you've all moved on to Burke but I'm not sure if I'll have it back together by then. Meanwhile, my mean :twisted: first gear start! Ok, not that mean but...

cool....fyi you have to put a different link in the youtube tabs for it to work In your case it's

Code: Select all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC-ZRDkmyd8
which ends up being this

The one where youtu.be has a period between the u and b doesn't work for some reason. Gets me every time too.
Sachilles
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

...and hustle to get it back to Burke...even if it doesn't run, just come up.
Sachilles
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

SevenhundredS wrote:Yeah, I know you've all moved on to Burke but I'm not sure if I'll have it back together by then. Meanwhile, my mean :twisted: first gear start! Ok, not that mean but...
You don't have to run to have fun! :D (Hey-thats pretty catchy! Feel free to use it if it will bring in workers . ;) )
Come up + work a corner-you still get to sit around the campfire +drink beer-and its alot easier on the car. 8-)
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.