Lets take the human error out of timing...

Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: Lets take the human error out of timing...

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Might be a good winter project. I might be able to drag Andy (with lights and whatever else he has) down to your place.

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

OK - I found a coupla things in McMaster that might helpImageThis is # 7244K9. I think that this will do what we need, powered by 24vDC, but, for little more, this gizmoImage #6884K2 will almost certainly handle start functions. it would need a small inverter for power
I'm thinkin' that something like this Image#9231K12 would work as the guard beam - if this is integrated with the PLC, it can detect jump starts automatically, and not false trigger when not counting down.
We would need Andy's circuit to do this, but it would simply be triggered by a PLC output. 8-)
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

jkale wrote:If we do this, it WILL be used at ALL hills, correct?
Correct.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

The current light beam at finish is an Allen Bradley 9000 series model 42GTU-9000 :geek: http://www.ab.com/sensors/products/phot ... s9000.html

This works very well. Some of the IR sensors don't deal well with daylight and they false everytime the sun comes out from behind the clouds. (Not a problem in most indoor settings where they are used.) The first price I found online was $166
Last edited by KevinGale on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

jkale wrote:James works at Interstate batteries. That is not an issue. He will be in charge of supplying and charging the battery.
Supplying sounds great. Charging only works if James is commiting to making it to every hillclimb from now to the end of time. :)

I think we really need to setup a charging system in the club trailer and whomever takes the trailer has to make sure it gets plugged in for at least a day between events. This will also get me out of schlepping the finish battery around. 8-)
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Mopar 151 wrote: Now the issue of money rears its ugly head - this is gonna take a few hundred$, and cash is short for 2 of the clubs just now.
Don't know if the battery charger setup was included but we'll need a smart charger that can generate at least a 10 amp charge. I say a smart charger because it won't burn up the batteries if someone leaves if plugged in for a month or more between events (or several months over the winter). I've seem some smart chargers that would fit the bill in the $75-$100 range.
jkale

Post by jkale »

i am willing to pitch in some $$$. Maybe we should do like a fundraiser for this equipment we will need, or a raffle. At every hillclimb, lets have a donation box that reads: "HELP US UPDATE OUR EQUIPMENT" or something.
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I know the SCCV has an old of timing lights (single beam with reflector) that might work for jump. If this is something that could be helpful to this setup, we (SCCV folks) can discuss the potential donation of said light.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Basically, from a systems engineering standpoint, we would be far better off to use an A-B prox exactly the same as the one at finish - 1 spare, identical setup, current model in production.
My available time has just been reduced by a return to employment(WHOOOPEE!) - Joey, would you be willing to take the traffic light and start on the stand fabrication, if I bring it to Okemo? If someone had one of those old rugged tripod camper jacks, that would be a good start......
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
kindabratty328

Post by kindabratty328 »

If the two Okemo Hillclimbs do well, we should be able to come up with the money to pay for this if it is really only a few hundred dollars. I think that it is well worth finding the money to be able to finally make this happen. Maybe we could designate all of the money that we make on the raffle to this project. We should definitely talk about the options at the KSCC meeting at Okemo.

Michele
Breathe in... breathe out... move on.