Lets take the human error out of timing...

jkale

Re: Lets take the human error out of timing...

Post by jkale »

Mopar 151 wrote:Basically, from a systems engineering standpoint, we would be far better off to use an A-B prox exactly the same as the one at finish - 1 spare, identical setup, current model in production.
My available time has just been reduced by a return to employment(WHOOOPEE!) - Joey, would you be willing to take the traffic light and start on the stand fabrication, if I bring it to Okemo? If someone had one of those old rugged tripod camper jacks, that would be a good start......
Most definitely John.
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Joey, would you be willing to take the traffic light and start on the stand fabrication, if I bring it to Okemo? If someone had one of those old rugged tripod camper jacks, that would be a good start.
John... the light you have... is it a standard (and heavy) traffic light (metal with glass lenses)? If so, let me get with Andy to see if I can get some lights. Would you want four (red-red-yellow-green... think 3-2-1-go!) or three (red-yellow-green)? The lights that Andy has are light weight plastic lens LED.

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Steve- that is exactly why I dont want to use them! The traffic light weighs about 30 pounds - the housing is aluminium - and it is weathertight and super rugged.
Also - it is designed for what we want to do -lens color, sunshades, and all - and it is an instantly recognisable icon.
It has been professionally repainted (thanks, Jimi!), and it'll be at Okemo.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Battery charging! Kscc already owns 1 of these automatic trickle chargers http://store.schumachermart.com/se-1-12s.html- could we hook up 2 or more in the trailer? then all we gotta do is plug in the trailer between races...
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Got it, John. Sounds like you already have what I envision for being perfect for the events. ;)
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
jkale

Post by jkale »

Mopar 151 wrote:Steve- that is exactly why I dont want to use them! The traffic light weighs about 30 pounds - the housing is aluminium - and it is weathertight and super rugged.
Also - it is designed for what we want to do -lens color, sunshades, and all - and it is an instantly recognisable icon.
It has been professionally repainted (thanks, Jimi!), and it'll be at Okemo.
Excellent!
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
Number_5

Post by Number_5 »

Do I recall a light at start that took several seconds for the incondesent to turn on?
John M
A man must learn to understand the motives of human beings, their illusions, and their sufferings.
Albert
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Yes - The NH "Time by radio" system. other aspects did not work out, either.
We intend to use LED 's, which light pretty much instantly, regardless of voltage.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
kindabratty328

Post by kindabratty328 »

It's VERY exciting to see this moving beyond the 'talking' stages!! Once this actually happens who will be setting things up at start... the person running finish, or the person running control?

Michele
Breathe in... breathe out... move on.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Mopar 151 wrote:Basically, from a systems engineering standpoint, we would be far better off to use an A-B prox exactly the same as the one at finish - 1 spare, identical setup, current model in production.
Absolutely. If we lost one light we could still run without the jump beam. That can be done manually if needed. Also the AB sensor has proved itself. It can handle what we need to do and it doesn't mind any amount of rain falling on it.

Note: We should make sure the two lights use the same style of plug and the same wiring so they can be interchanged.